A bit of a change from Symphony Silicon Valley. I haven’t seen the announcement in the paper yet, but since SSV has it at their site I’m assuming it’s okay to post it here.

This means Porgy & Bess is out, and two different things are taking its place. I don’t get to play in the first week (only one oboist is needed), but I’ll be there for week two!

Frank Loesser’s The Most Happy Fella
Friday 8:00 pm March 12, 2010
Saturday 8:00 pm March 13, 2010
Sunday 2:30 pm March 14, 2010

Tony, the Napa Valley’s lonely but loveable grape farmer, “wants to get married” to his beautiful Rosabella, a waitress he met in a diner in San Francisco. Frank Loesser’s (Guys & Dolls) old-tech version of on-line speed dating turns into one of the most memorable musical scores ever written.

Great songs range from the waitress’s lament “Oh My Feet” to Joe’s paean to the wandering life, “Joey;” from Tony’s joyous “Most Happy Fella” to the uproarious “I Made a Fist.” All the farm hands dream about “Standing on the Corner” looking for their own special dish. A bountiful harvest of great tunes and a wonderful love story.

Join Broadway in Concert for this ravishing musical. Three performances only, in our exciting concert format with featured singers and full orchestra on stage.

Conductor: William Liberatore

Richly Russian
Thursday 7:30 pm March 18, 2010
Saturday 8:00 pm March 20, 2010
Sunday 2:30 pm March 21, 2010

A program of three Russian composers writing in the early to mid 20th century. The concert features the renowned Rach 2 – one of the most romantic and virtuosic piano concertos ever written. This true showpiece shares this Russian plain with Gliere’s Russian Sailor’s Dance from the Red Poppy and Prokofiev’s great Symphony No. 5.

Conductor: Leslie B. Dunner

• Reinholt Gliére Russian Sailor’s Dance
  • Sergei Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2
  • Serge Prokofiev Symphony No. 5

Those holding tickets for Porgy & Bess will be contacted by the Symphony staff and offered the opportunity to select one or both of these new productions, exchange to another program, or to get a refund.

I’ll probably be playing English horn in the Prokofiev. Which means I won’t be playing in the other two works, if I’m remembering the instrumentation correctly.

1 Comment

1. Wow that Russian program is certainly a tour de force! I remember playing EH on Prokofiev 5 at NEC and having a heck of a fun time. What a great part!